Middle-aged porker of the right

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Sep 26 18:48:50 MDT 2002

At 09:07  26/09/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I (Hitchens) have come to realize that the magazine itself takes a side in
>this argument, and is becoming the voice and the echo chamber of those who
>truly believe that John Ashcroft is a greater menace than Osama bin Laden.
>. . . In these circumstances it seems to me false to continue the
>association, which is why I have decided to make this 'Minority Report' my
>last one."

Interesting how the rat puts his finger right on the pulse. I suppose to be
an opportunist like Hitchens you have to have the nous to read the
conjuncture correctly and not to be illusioned.  Only the truly crazy or
stupid would accept that the bogey man - Osama Bin Laden - is a bigger
threat to American Democracy than the American Administration.  I repeat -
no one with any brains - least of all Hitchens - would believe such a
proposition.

Yet this moment of clarity on Hitchens' part is perverted into his willing
embrace of the Right's agenda.  His ascent will now be dizziness itself.

I have often wondered what it would be like to sell out like this.  What
does Horowitz say to his image in the morning when he has to shave? What
will Hitchens say to himself now he is about to be come the darling of the
fascists?

regards

Gary