Scholars respond to witch-hunt website

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Sep 27 07:15:30 MDT 2002

> Mr. Pipes said the Web site was no threat to free speech. "We're
> engaged in a battle over ideas," he said. "To bring in this notion
> of academic freedom is nonsense. No one is interfering with their
> right to say anything they want."

Frustrated U.S. Muslims Feel Marginalized Again

By TERESA WATANABE, TIMES STAFF WRITER

A year after the Sept. 11 attacks, American Muslim leaders
increasingly fear their community is being pushed to the margins of
the American political system.

[snip]

Evidence of a hardening of attitudes against Muslims--at least on the
part of some Americans--comes in several forms. So far this year, more
than 20 books on the "Islamic menace" have been published. Two of
those books are the best-selling titles among 7,219 books on Islam at
Amazon.com: "American Jihad: The Terrorists Among Us," by Steven
Emerson, and "Militant Islam Reaches America," by Daniel Pipes.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/timespoll/la-me-muslim27sep27.story

les