350,000 in London march to oppose war on Iraq

Alan Bradley abradley1 at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 28 18:30:17 MDT 2002

There was a march in Sydney, too. The following report is from SBS news
<http://www.theworldnews.com.au/index.html?transcript=List# >

ANTI-WAR PROTEST IN SYDNEY

  More than 1,000 protesters have marched through central Sydney to oppose
any Australian involvement in military action against Iraq. The 'No War on
Iraq' rally was called to coincide with similar marches being planned this
weekend in London and Washington.

  They came to protest against American threats of unilateral action against
Iraq. And to demand that Australia's politicians back a UN-brokered
solution.
MEREDITH BERGMANN, NSW UPPER HOUSE PRESIDENT: The ALP has a tradition since
1945 of arguing that things must happen through the UN. And I hope that my
party, my beloved party, sticks to that position.

The anti-war coalition also had a blunt message for the Federal Government.
They say the Government is putting Australian lives at risk by blindly
following the United States.

JOHN SUTTON, CONSTRUCTION, FORESTRY AND MINING UNION: It won't be people
like fearsome Alexander Downer who will have to go off and carry out the
dirty work in a far flung land. It will be the working class men and women
of Australia that have to put their lives at risk.

The rally ended up being about more than war on Iraq. The vocal majority
were equally concerned about the fate of the Palestinians.

SARI KASSIS, PALESTINE HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGN: And today we take a stand not
just against the war in Iraq but also in support and solidarity with the
palestinian people. We march today calling out, "No war to Iraq." And we
call out, "Free Palestine as well."

An attempt was made to burn an Israeli flag, but without much success.
Organisers have promised that today's protest is just the beginning of a
long campaign.