further on Stan Goff

Daru Rateau darurateau at doramail.com
Fri Aug 1 02:44:30 MDT 2003

>>"I'm sure he can learn from analysis that is better than his, as can we
all."

No doubt - but one was not provided.<<

Wow, that's a friendly way to start a discussion with a fellow list participant! Makes me want to read on. I hope the regular five have their gongs ready.

>>The EU opposition was not a smokescreen, counterposed to the "real"
movement. That is false praise for the movement, which, in fact, was
largely predicated upon benevolent assumptions about the United Nations
and various European nations .<<

I think I can deduce what certain politicans tried to get out of all the various negotiations at the UN and NATO. I won't speak for a billion people.

>>I also doubt the European countries which opposed the war did so as any
kind of "smokescreen". Their geopolitical objectives do not include
seeing US hegemony expand forever. Not to go Wallerstein on you, but
what they did was accede when necessary.<<

You mean like Schroeder, who said he opposed the war, but let the US use its bases in Germany without so much as a word of criticism?

>>As far as "Support the Troops" is concerned, there is a fundamental
disconnect in American society which I believe is now more aptly termed
the American Master Race: denial. The minimum program under current
conditions is to demand unconditional withdrawal of troops. This will
not be done by insisting they all be tried as thieves and criminals
under international law.<<

Minimal program is sort of like minimal wage. An oxymoron.

We know who is going to be tried as criminals or sued and it won't be the Americans. See the piece about the pilots suing for Iraq to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

>>I think what Goff is doing is operating within the political parameters
that best serve the end goal of organizing some opposition to the war
within the ranks of those who are fighting it.<<

I don't.

DR