Forwarded from Nestor (morphing)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 4 12:55:21 MDT 2003

Einde O´C. wrote:

"Here in Germany we have several leaders of the Green Party who were
AFAICS genuine revolutionaries in the 1960s and 1970s who are now in
leading positions in pushing a right-wing agenda, sometimes with
pesudo-leftist arguments.

One crass example of this phenomenon is our Foreign Minister, the former
streetfighter Joseph (Joschka) Fischer <...>

Another example is Otto Schily, former attorney for the Red Army
Fraction (Baader-Meinhoff group) and himself formerly suspected of being
a leading terrorist, who <...> is currently leading the most radical
attack on civil liberties since the Second World War and preparing the
for ground <...> total supervision of the general public, not just
political activists.

<...>

I don't necessarily believe that these people were always opportunist
shits. I think it's more a case of <...> (social) being determining
consciousness."

===

I agree. But we should also recall the social roots of the individuals
at stake. From what I can gather here and I remember about all those
radicalized groups of the late 60s, early 70s, all of them were somehow
or other sticking to the idea that the working class in metropolitan
countries was lost for revolution and the <New> Left had to be built up
from the "free intelligentsia" and "radicalized students/youth".  That
is, in the end, from the radicalized layers of the petty bourgeoisie and
bourgeoisie.

That is, in the end, they voiced a non-proletarian (and perhaps
anti-proletarian, though heavily veiled) point of view. It should be no
surprise for a Marxist that during an age of general advancement of
revolutionary movements the globe over, the "enlightened" tiers of the
petty bourgeoisie preferred to style themselves following that global
trend. With a reversion of the global trends (which took place by the
mid 70s and lasts until our days, though it is getting weaker with the
hours), the petty bourgeois sides with the bourgeois.

Who was it that wrote, somewhere, that the petty bourgeois cannot have a
political project of itself and has to lean either on the bourgeois or
the proletarian...

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org