Andrew Johnson impeachment and the Nation Magazine

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 20:40:39 MDT 2003

Lou,

  I too will look forward to your essay. I would simply observe that an
historical conflagration the size of the US Civil war involves some
seriously intractable conflicts between classes.  Certainly creating
yeoman farmers out of former slaves was not in the direct interest of
the Northern capitalist class. They were out to expand their interests
mainly through the railroads, and found an able representative in one A.
Lincoln.

  Off the top of my head, I would say that they regarded the plantation
owners in the final analysis simply as anachronisms that had to be
cleared away, as they did the Native American tribes whose land lay
across the railroad land grants.

Jon Flanders