"Lula - Traitor"

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Thu Aug 7 06:08:06 MDT 2003

Reuters via CNN:

Civil servants protest after reform vote
'Biggest treachery I have had in my life'
Wednesday, August 6, 2003 Posted: 1702 GMT ( 1:02 AM HKT)

BRASILIA, Brazil (Reuters) -- Thousands of civil servants protested in the
streets of Brazil's capital on Wednesday and called President Luiz Inacio
Lula da Silva a traitor after Congress passed an overhaul of the bloated
public pensions system.
[...]
"This is the biggest treachery I have had in my life," said Fatima Mesquita,
a retired 50-year-old civil servant who traveled 2,000 kilometers (1,250
miles) from the tropical state of Ceara for the protest.
"I could never have imagined this, Lula came to my city and said he would
recover the dignity of public workers."
[...]
Mounted riot police surrounded Brazil's Congress building with metal
barriers as an estimated 25,000 civil servants marched under the blistering
sun down the esplanade in the center of capital Brasilia.
They were carrying an effigy of Lula which they put in a coffin.
[...]
Paulo Palovi, head of a labor union for workers at Brazil's Central Bank
said "the public sector is now all against him."

Full:

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/americas/08/06/brazil.reform.reut/