CubaNews notes August 7, 2003

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 7 18:34:27 MDT 2003

CubaNews notes August 7, 2003
by Walter Lippmann

A good deal of the backlogged information from
the end of last week has now gone out to those
of you who subscribe to CubaNews list. Those
who don't may look at the range of information
posted to the list's website using this address:

This list provides a wide range of information from
many sources to as to inform those who want to
change US policy from the current blockade to one
of normalized relations. Just because things appear
here doesn't mean that the moderator (myself) or
anyone else necessarily endorses any or every
word in them. The best way to learn about Cuba
is to go there. That's why the US government is
continuing to defend the travel ban and the rest of
its failed blockade policies. It's important that we
be widely informed on events within the island,
the Cuban diaspora, and in the United States as
well so we can work effectively toward a normal
relationship between the two countries.

While Cuba may not be the most important country
in the entire world (except for Cubans, rightist exiles,
and their backers in the United States) events in
and related to the island affect everyone. Our right
to travel. Our right to intelligently discuss political
issues, such as what policy this country should
have toward Cuba [or anywhere else] is limited by
US policy which remains crushing the Revolution
via the blockade. This policy is losing support as
time passes now. The exile rightists are in a tizzy
over this, but the are clearly losing ground.

US politics continues in a state of turmoil and no
end is in sight. The recall effort against California
Governor Gray Davis, which has now added to its
mix Arnold Schwartzenegger, exemplifies a deep
malaise. While I'm making no predictions, who is
to say what Arnold would say about the blockade
of Cuba? He's a Republican but not a hard rightist.

Lots of California businesses trade with Cuba and
more could if permitted to do so. California wines
are on sale in Cuba already. Remember that no
one knew what Jesse Ventura would say about
Cuba before he got elected. Then he proved to
be a pleasant surprise. The Bush administration
attacked him bitterly over that. Would they take
on Arnold as they tried to with Ventura? Don't
count on that.

Eloy Gutierrez Menoyo, who played a role in the
armed struggle, then in the counterrevolutionary
armed struggle, then was jailed for 22 years in
Cuba, and now could perhaps best be described
as an advocate of peaceful counter-revolution
visited the island again last week. There are more
than one news story about his visit. It's also not
his first visit. He heads a group called Cambio
Cubano. He has negotiated with the government
of Cuba in the past, and they're clearly not afraid
of him now. His visits aren't reported in the Cuban
media. His website: http://www.cambiocubano.com

Roger Noriego went to Miami and gave a major
address trying to shore up sagging support for the
blockade, stating there will be no change in US
policy toward Cuba. He brought Otto Reich and
Dan Fisk along, two of the most rabid extremists
in the Bush administration. But it does seem clear
that they are opposed to having a migration crisis
at this time. I think it would not be good for Bush
re-election prospects at the national level. All of
this contributes to the disarray among the exiles.
We have two very significant articles reflecting
that turmoil today. One by Myriam Marquez and
the other by Paul Crespo, representing extremely
divergent views in Cuban-American perspectives.

And don't forget the maneuverings surrounding
the Latin Grammys and whether or not Cubans
will get their visas to attend. Eight have already
been nominated, but the Herald is already saying
not all will be granted their visa.

Cuba continues doing well at the Pan American
games in Santo Domingo, though it did get beaten
badly in hockey, an important Caribbean sport <g>)

Still playing catch-up on past materials but for
MORE INFORMATION ON CUBA AND RELATED: