Darcy Ribeiro: On Brazilian class structure

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Aug 8 19:32:21 MDT 2003

One of the most interesting sources to understand some details of the
Brazilian class structure is Darcy Ribeiro. I have extracted to the
Reconquista Popular mailing list part of his _O povo brasileiro_ (The
Brazilian people).

The original is in Portuguese, but since I believe that anyone who
wants to be knowledgeable enough to draft general propositions that
should be followed by a Brazilian revolutionary must have certainly
learnt Portuguese, I simply suggest those cdes. who haven't read
Ribeiro's description to look for it at the archives of Reconquista
Popular.

His is a rather empiricist description, and of course one can always
translate the classes he so aptly describes to a general Marxist
framework. But in the translation, everything that is essential can
be lost.

In agreement or in disagreement, I am sure they will enjoy those
lines at

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/reconquista-popular/2003-
August/009491.html

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky