books on colonialism

Juan Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 9 11:17:52 MDT 2003

>>Can anyone recommend some good Marxist works on the history colonialism in
>>Samoa, the Caribbean (particularly Barbados), India, and/or Nigeria? A
>>good one-volume work that hits a couple of these places would be great.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>>David Siar

Not Marxist but praiseworthy in their own right:

Freire, "The Masters and the Slaves"  (orig.: "Casa grande e zenzala")
on Brazil

Hoschild, "King Leopold's Ghost"  on the Belgian colonization of the
Congo Basin

Galeano, "Open Veins of Latin America".

This last one is more of a "people's history" but it is a great read and
  has always been one of my favorites.  I always tell people that if
they want to understand Latin American history they ought to read "Open
Veins".  Whatever paths Galeano's trodden since, that book was
electrifying when it came out and has the distinction of having been
banned in almost every Latin American country at the time.

These may not be what you're looking for in terms of your project, but
get around to them if you can, it'll be worth your while.

- Juan