No Occupation without Ground Troops RE: Moderator's note

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Aug 10 14:35:28 MDT 2003

At 4:14 PM -0400 8/10/03, Mark Lause wrote:
>Adam,
>
>"Out Now"'s dandy for me, but I still don't get what you're saying
>about BTTHN.  Both slogans focuses on the action we want from the
>troops...to have them out now.  This desire jibes nicely with what
>the occupied people want.
>
>If some pro-war people want to BTTHN, they are being pro-war in a
>strange new way to me.
>
>Mark

The bottom line is that you can't occupy any country without _a lot_
of ground troops (in fact, you need more than the US government has
deployed in Iraq so far), though you can have a brief air war without
them.  It is in this context that discontent in the US army rank and
file, among military families, etc. is important -- we need to speak
to them and win as many of them as possible over to us.  Also, we
need to politically highlight, in a wider public sphere, the fact
that the US troops _are_ discontented -- doing so will help us
further erode support for empire-building.
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,