Leadership & Movement-Building Re: the world working class

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Aug 10 16:26:37 MDT 2003

Yoshie wrote:

"That's how you build a movement, with actually existing activists."

Pertinent point. For the sake of clarity, what is your operational
definition of "actually existing activists" ?

Personally - this may be an ideosyncrasy - I am not so keen on terminology
like "movement building" because it is not clear what it means. American
leftists often talk about "building" when they intend "organising". Now,
when you organise, things do get built. But by my reckoning, if you build,
it doesn't necessarily mean things get organised.

Jurriaan