The world working class and all that

Lueko Willms Lueko.Willms at t-online.de
Mon Aug 11 03:17:09 MDT 2003

Dear Louis,

   sorry for not heeding your warning, but I think that this message
does contribute some new aspects which have not yet been voiced in
the discussion here.

  I want to take up one point from this:

# Subject: The world working class and all that
# From: "Richard Harris" <rhh1 at gotadsl.co.uk>
# Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:41:09 +0100

  where he writes among others:

> I say Iraqis should shoot the invaders.  In England and the US
> we have to defend the Iraqis' struggle.

   Sure. Lets do that.

   But now a word about the Iraqis. They also do organize
demonstrations against the occupation which are not shooting sprees.
What should the Iraqis write on their banners they carry with them to
make clear what they want? Should they write "Let's shoot the
occupiers"? Should they drop the demand that the US- and British
occupation forces leave the country, and immediately?

  I think posing the question answers it.

  Besides, I do not yet see behind the armed attacks on the occupiers
an organized movement which unifies the whole nation behind it; this
is still to come, and it is for me an open question in what form such
a movement would organize and fight. The Shi'ite population simply
proceed to organize their own life, as far as I can see (which is not
to far because of the fog created by the Weapons of Mass
Disinformation, the international capitalist media). Let me state
clearly that this assessment does not change my opposition to the
occupation and my demand for immediate and unconditional withdrawal
of the occupying forces.

>      There are many people in the UK, more in
> Europe, who regard the war as an inexcusable aggression.
> More that half the population in most European countries.

   I also doubt that this is true. There is not so much political
clarity in the heads of our European working people. There was much
more political confusion in the anti-war mobilizations before the war
started, and currently there is hardly any mobilization going on.

   Now some words about this from Richard Harris' original posting,
which I quote from