Oil

Xenon Zi-Neng Yuan wenhuadageming at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 09:45:10 MDT 2003

hydrogen is not a source of energy.  it is only a form of storage, one with
a net loss of energy at that.

oil is a concentrated and easily manipulated (compared to coal) form of
energy.  there is no replacement for it in the foreseeable future.  oil is
originally the solar (and geothermal?) energy accumulated over *hundreds of
millions* of years.  please show me how barges, trains, and airplanes will
run on solar or any of the current or hypothesized "alternate"
sources.  and how will 6.5 billion people be sustained with
non-petroleum-based agriculture?  and what about plastics and the
dependence of modern industry and medicine on them?

as louis just pointed out, it doesn't mean capitalism will inevitably
collapse as a result of this alone (or any other scarcity of a "basic"
resource), but it also doesn't mean that lots of (poor and working) people
won't die as a result of this impending "readjustment".

xzy