Defend Immigrant Rights and First Amendment in SF

Armand Diego causebellum at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 02:06:32 MDT 2003

PLEASE, CIRCULATE, POST, FORWARD TO YOUR LIST,  SIGN
AND RETURN

DEFEND THE RIGHTS OF IMMIGRANTS AND THE FIRST
AMENDMENT.

The Organizing Committee of Immigrant Pride Day 2003
is asking you to sign in support of this year's event.

As with every year since 1996, thousands of immigrants
will come not only from the neighborhood, but from
across the Bay Area to the Mission District to
celebrate and demonstrate.  To celebrate the diversity
and richness of their cultures and to demand the
rights they have been denied.

As in previous years, we expect well over 50 community
and labor organizations and elected officials to
support this event. Presently, the overwhelming
majority of merchants on Mission and 24th Streets, as
well as neighbors and organizations active in the
Mission District, have signed in support of the event
taking place as planned.

As we have every year since 1996, we will be demanding
papers for all and the end of racism and
discrimination and we will tackle issues affecting
immigrants directly like war and hate violence by
educating, organizing, etc.

As with every year since 1996 we will be doing this
peacefully and celebrating our contribution to the
culture and economy of our city.

As with every year since 1996 our event is one in
which violence, alcohol and drugs are banned and which
is essentially directed towards the immigrant families
and their allies, unions and community organizations.

This year, however, Sgt. Rubino of the Mission
District Police Station told us  - in writing at our
request - that the police oppose our celebration on
the streets of our neighborhood because, he said, we
presented last year as a block party for families and
neighbors while in reality it was a cultural-political
festival.

We have never hidden the cultural-political character
of the event and ever since 9/11 2001 - for two years
now - we have added the demands of repealing the
Patriot Act and being against the war to those we've
had since 1996 of Papers for All and ending
discrimination against immigrants.

Sergeant Rubino is insisting that the event should
take place in a park like Dolores Park far away from
the place where we traditionally celebrated this day
and which is traditionally seen as the heart of the
Mission District: 24th and Mission Street.

In addition, the Department of Parking and
Transportation (DPT) wants to charge Immigrant Pride
Day with over $5,000 for diverting traffic on one
block of Mission District (between 25th and 24th
Street) so we can use the Mission Cultural Center for
Latino Arts and other Latino immigrant and community
buildings as part of the celebrations.

When asked, DPT informed us that Carnaval and other
celebrations (which require more diversion of traffic
and public transportation than ours
does) were events under the First Amendment rights and
ours is not.

Our celebration completely and absolutely addresses
the rights and lives of immigrants and their families
and makes it explicitly a First Amendment right. In
fact, it was designed specifically with that purpose.

We are willing to make a small contribution towards
the expense of diverting public transportation.  But
the amount asked is prohibitive for a celebration like
ours which does not ask nor accept corporate funding
and only is possible with the small contributions of
community,
labor and local organizations of immigrants.

Since 1996, Immigrant Pride Day has been supported by
unions, community and immigrant rights groups and was
declared since 1996 an official celebration of the
City and County of San Francisco by public
declarations by the Mayor and the Board of
Supervisors.

The opposition of the SFPD, as exemplified by the
letter we received from Sgt. Rubino of the Mission
District Police Station runs contrary to six years of
peaceful celebration and demonstration which brings
the community together to celebrate and express their
First Amendment rights.

We are asking your organization to sign the following
appeal and send us letters of support before August
12, 2003 so we can introduce them at a a hearing of
the DPT which will deal with obtaining the permit for
Immigrant Pride Day 2003.

Thank you for your support,

Berta Hernandez
Organizing Committee Immigrant Pride Day 2003
For more information:
Work: (415) 229-0531
IPD office: (415) 452-9992
E-Mail: alternative at sbcglobal.net

------

APPEAL

(Please sign it and return BEFORE AUGUST 12 to
alternative at sbcglobal.net)

We support Immigrant Pride Day 2003.  We support the
event, the character of the event and we think that
its organizing is well within the First Amendment
rights.

We support the request for closure of Mission Street
between 24th and 25th Street on the date of the event
to allow the organizers to setup the stage and utilize
other traditional immigrant and Latino buildings in
the immediacy for the cultural-political festival they
are organizing.

We request that the City would consider making all
reasonable efforts to either avoid charging the
organizing committee for any disbursement for the 12
hour closure of the street - as we consider this a
First Amendment organizing event - or that all efforts
will be made to make that sum affordable for the
organizers of IPD as they are not accepting nor do
they request corporate sponsorships.

Name:

Title:

Address:

Telephone:

E-Mail:

Please, indicate if your organization is endorsing
this appeal or is mentioned for identification
purposes only.
-----------------

San Francisco, August 12, 2003

FYI:
Dear friends:

* We are sending you copy of the letter we sent to
Supervisor Tom Ammiano to introduce two resolutions at
the Board of Supervisors in support of Immigrant Pride
Day.

* We ask you to support those resolutions and to sign
the petitions enclosed and return them to us to:
alternative at sbcglobal.net BEFORE AUGUST 20 (the
hearing had been postponed)

Thank You!

IMMIGRANT PRIDE DAY 2003
Organizing Committee

------------------

San Francisco, August 11, 2003

Supervisor Tom Ammiano
District 9 Supervisor

Dear Tom:

As per your request, I contacted Angela last week and
forwarded to her all the information regarding
Immigrant Pride Day and the attempts by Sgt. Rubino
and the Mission Police Station to oppose our right to
hold the event on Mission Street, between 24th and
25th Streets, based on their political opposition to
the content of the event.

I also sent you the letter I received from DPW
attempting to charge us an exorbitant amount of money
(over $5,000) to pay for the expense of the street
closure.

As you're well aware, this is not the first time in
the last 7 years that the SFPD's Mission Station has
forced us to follow these procedures in order to
exercise our First Amendment Rights and hold our
event.

We already have petitions signed by many
organizations, businesses and individuals requesting
a) that the permit be granted as requested to have IPD
in the selected place as we traditionally have had it
for the last seven years and b) that the Board of
Supervisor either waive the fee for closure of the
street or make the fee a reasonable amount, as we are
not corporate-sponsored.

You represent District 9 and have endorsed the event
the last few years. That is why we are requesting from
you the following:

a.	Use all the power of your office so that the permit
is granted
as requested to have IPD on Mission Street, between
24th and 25th Streets, on the date requested and to
close that block of Mission Street from 7 AM to 7 PM.
We would be thankful for both a letter signed by you
supporting the event and for you to introduce a
resolution to the Board of Supervisors endorsing the
event as was done in the past.

b.	We would also like to request from your office the
introduction
of a resolution to the Board of Supervisors waiving
the fee for street closure or at least making the fee
a reasonable one.  Our event is clearly a First
Amendment event as it addresses rights and issues
affecting immigrants and their families.  The City
routinely grants First Amendment exceptions for events
such as Carnaval and we feel that our event deserves
equal or better treatment.

We have already requested that the hearing for the
permit be moved from 8/14 to 8/28 to let your office
have sufficient time to deal with this issue.  We
would be very appreciative if you can introduce those
resolutions ASAP so they can be ready for the hearing.

As a courtesy to your colleagues at the Board of
Supervisors, we are forwarding this note and the
enclosed petition to start a process of gathering
support for your actions which we expect that you will
take in the next few days.

Please, feel free to communicate with us in the next
couple of days to let us know the status of your
initiatives and to request whatever additional
information you require.

Please call: (415) 452-9992 or e-mail to:
alternative at sbcglobal.net

Sincerely yours,

Carlos Petroni
On behalf of Immigrant Pride Day Organizing Committee

P.S: This is the text of one of the petitions.  It is
signed by about 150 organizations and individuals.  We
also circulated another petition supported by most
merchants in the area proposed for the event and we
received letters of support of still other
organizations.

PETITION

APPEAL

(Please sign it and return BEFORE AUGUST 20 to
[...]

The following organizations, businesses and
individuals are supporting the petition and many of
them have sent separate letters of support and the two
points of action included in the petition:

Organizations:

Berta Hernandez, Miguel Perez - Coordinators
Immigrant Rights Movement (MDI)
Jordan Einsenberg
COLAGE (Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere)
Teresa Mejia, Executive Director,
The Women's Building
Frontlines newspaper
Jim Dupont, President
Hotel Employees & Restaurant Employees Union
Local 2850
Interfaith Coalition for Immigrant Rights
Renee Saucedo, Coordinator
La Raza Centro Legal, Inc.
Kirsten Moller, Executive Director
Global Exchange
Left Party
Vietnamese Residents' Association
Will Doherty, Executive Director
Online Policy Group, Inc.
Patrik Nylund, MA, Coordinator
Arriba Juntos Development
Gurujiwan Khalsa
Chiapas Support Committee

* Organization listed for identification purposes o
PLEASE ADD THE NAME OF YOUR ORGANIZATION TO THE LIST
AND SEND IT BACK TO: alternative at sbcglobal.net

INDIVIDUALS AND NEIGHBORS SUPPORTING IPD'S PETITION
(Partial List)

Sara Harrison
Medea Benjamin
Sean T
Catlin Conlin
E. Gonzalez
Raul Virjen
Nathan Wood
Alexei Folger
Tara Darobji
Leila Seraphin
Roz Snyder
Carl
Stella Ng
Darryl Dea
Adam Richmond
Lucrecia Bermudez
Jacqulyn Sloane
Billy Ray Boyd
John Harrison
Ken Rosenberg
Harry Kershner
Janet Weil
Scott Benbow
Joan Cabello
Danny Laughlin
Miles Montalbano
Robert Hammie
Ginny Thompson
Christophe Kreis
Hossein Khosroujah
Alfonso Ochoa
Athena Papadakos
Gloria Burd
Greg Young
Moises Montoya
Joseph Burke
Micheas
Bernie Fox
Abel Mouton
Chris Finn
Gino Pepi
Federico Fernandez
Caty Powell
Sanjeev Baluja
Dave Grace
Lorena Borrego-Moncada
Jiro Yamamoto
Priya Bhogaonker
Amanda Larkin
David Taub
David Walters

PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST AND SEND IT BACK TO:
alternative at sbcglobal.net

PETITION SUPPORTING IPD FROM BUSINESSES AND MERCHANTS
IN THE AREA

The undersigned support the realization of the event
Immigrant Pride Day 2003, on Saturday, October 25th,
2003, to take place on Mission Street between 24th and
25th streets.

Los abajo firmante apoyamos la realización del evento
Día del Orgullo del Inmigrante, el sábado 25 de
octubre del 2003 en la calle Mision entre las calles
24 y 25.

Name
Western Dental/ Tania
McDonalds /Javier Montecinos
La Santaneca Restaurant / Ramiro Manjivar
Frida Pizza
Great Mission
Footlocker
Darlene Fabrics / Margarita Gutierrez