SWP policy on Cuba

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 01:27:35 MDT 2003

The two positions are completely incompatible.

Think about it, Laura: Fidel called it a victory
and the SWP called it a blow to the working
class.

This would politically signify that Fidel was in
favor of something against the interests of
the working class. But Fidel Castro didn't
favor something against the interests of
the working class. That's not what the
Cuban Revolution is about. Elian was
a traumatized child in need of return
to his father and family. But to those
wealth rightist exiles in Miami, he was
nothing but a pawn, a plaything to be
used in their maniacal campaigns and
efforts to defeat the Cuban Revolution.

The views cannot be reconciled. The SWP
said the rescue was a blow to the democratic
rights of the working class. But there is no
democratic right to kidnap other peoples'
children, nor privacy rights for kidnappers.

There were only two sides in that struggle.
It was not possible to be on both of them.

Sincerely yours,

Walter Lippmann