Forwarded from Anthony (blackout)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 16 07:02:24 MDT 2003

I would really like to read list participants views on the great black out
that hit, and is still hitting, much of the eastern USA and Canada.

  It seems to me to be the California Energy Crisis part 2 - an easily
foreseen crisis caused by a 'deregulated' energy market which makes it more
profitable to have demand levels that exceed supply levels as often as
possible. The excess local and regional capacity that was built into
regulated markets in the old days is now gone, and the high tension
transmission lines that theortically might allow the national or regional
prwer grid to overcome local peaks - have never been built. Bad investments.

  A good argument for a socialized planned economy, also.

  All the best, Anthony