3rd parties

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 18 22:53:26 MDT 2003

Robin Maisel:
>    Are you going to say "I am voting for a lesser capitalist evil even
> though I am opposed to everything he stands for" (whether Green Blue or
> Red to use the delightfully colored maps on the news and election eve
> programing).  Do you really believe that voting for a Democrat or
> Republican capitalist party or a "third" party or "fourth" party which
> rests upon class collaborationist programs is a step forward.

Well, that all depends. In 1925, the Comintern decided that the CPUSA had
been mistaken for not supporting the LaFollette campaign for President,
which it regarded as a "great victory" for the trade union and farmers
groups that backed it. LaFollette was a life-long Republican Senator who
ran on the Progressive Ticket after getting fed up with business as usual
from the two major parties. He was the Ralph Nader of his day.

I should add that one Comintern leader was adamantly opposed to backing
LaFollette and that was Leon Trotsky. However, his polemics drew from the
theory of permanent revolution, arguing that LaFollette was an American Sun
Yat-Sen and that pro-LaFollette forces in the CP were agents of Bukharinism
bending over backwards to keep the peasants fat and happy. (Yes, comrades,
this stuff gets pretty arcane.) At any rate I am not sure what position
communists should take on this obscure bit of our history, because as we
all know the theory of permanent revolution was a big sectarian mistake.
And we do know that it is critically important to have the correct position
on historical questions, of course until we realize that we had been wrong
all along.