"Support the troops"? Why the words matter.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 19 17:23:46 MDT 2003

Eli:
>A quick survey, incidentally, shows that NONE of the key groups - ANSWER,
>NION, UfPJ, nor even Bring them Home Now, features a "Support The Troops"
>slogan anywhere I could find on their website.

Of course not. That's why this debate has had a surreal quality. "Support
the troops in Iraq, bring them home now" is neither a slogan nor a demand.
It is a chant heard frequently on demonstrations along with "Fuck Bush",
"the people united will never be defeated" and the occasional Spartacist
League inspired "Turn the imperialist war into a civil war". The important
debate is the same we had in the 1960s, with practically the same people.
The UPJ people are under pressure to support some Democrat and moveon.org
type people are pushing for involving the world community (an option
somewhat dimmed by the car bomb at UN headquarters in Baghdad.)