"Support the troops"? Why the words matter.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 20 17:31:33 MDT 2003

Tom O'Lincoln:
> >>Those who send others to fight, kill and die, aren't going, and neither
>are their kids. We need to support our troops by bringing them home now.
>This is not our war.<<
>
>That's as concrete as you can get.

You left off the introduction from her posting:

"Ester, from Grandview, Missouri, has a son in the army and another son who
left from boot camp in July. She lost a brother to agent orange and an
uncle to the after-effects of WWII and Korea."

Let me put it this way, anybody on Marxmail who thinks that Ester
represents a social patriotic deviation or that Stan Goff was remiss by
posting her sentiments probably does not belong here. Ester was not
submitting an article to Monthly Review or drafting a leaflet for the
actions in October. If you've lived in Missouri (I was born there), you'd
realize how important this statement is.

If you can't figure out how important it is for people like this to step
forward and speak out, you have no idea how revolutionary consciousness
will develop. I'd recommend that people who are confused over this read
Trotsky's "History of the Russian Revolution". Or reread it in some cases.