New York Times: Escalate!

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 21:43:23 MDT 2003

>As things now stand, any public building not fully surrounded by a
>fortified, patrolled concrete perimeter appears vulnerable.

Is the NY Times really so stupid as not to realize that there might be
something specially significant about the Jordanian embassy and the UN
compound?

On a different note, Fred wrote:

>The bombing against the United Nations, which (in the form of the
>Security Council) has been supporting the US war against Iraq in one
>form or another for 13 years

Not that it matters all that much, but my impression is that the UN (that
is, the other members of the Security Council) was ready to cancel the
sanctions but that USuk essentially threatened to veto any resolution
lifting the sanctions, which, because of the unexpiring nature of the
original resolution, meant they stayed in place. Is this an accurate
assessment?