Leo Panitch: left-nationalist?

Patrick Bond pbond at sn.apc.org
Wed Aug 20 22:55:45 MDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>
> Turns out that Leo Panitch has a bit in common with Hardt-Negri.

Lou, what are you talking about -- last time I checked, Hardt/Negri despise
anything nationalist or reliant upon the nation-state as unit of analysis or
contestation.

Semantics may be a problem here (or maybe it's just caricature by the SWP),
but I don't have any problem with the way Leo represents his politics. As
his many writings show, he is profoundly internationalist in nature (is
there any better annual in the english language, in this regard, than SR?),
even if in the short term he argues that the revolution must start with each
working class dealing with its national bourgeoisie. Someone else said that
too, I think.

Disclaimer: next month I'll be starting a sabbatical research project at
York, working with Leo and the other comrades.