"Support the troops"? Why the words matter.

Daru Rateau darurateau at doramail.com
Thu Aug 21 02:52:04 MDT 2003

Totally duff analysis quoted below:

>>Eli: >A quick survey, incidentally, shows that NONE of the key groups - ANSWER,  >NION, UfPJ, nor even Bring them Home Now, features a "Support The Troops"  >slogan anywhere I could find on their website.

LP: >>Of course not. That's why this debate has had a surreal quality. "Support  the troops in Iraq, bring them home now" is neither a slogan nor a demand.  It is a chant heard frequently on demonstrations along with "Fuck Bush",  "the people united will never be defeated" and the occasional Spartacist  League inspired "Turn the imperialist war into a civil war". The important  debate is the same we had in the 1960s, with practically the same people.  The UPJ people are under pressure to support some Democrat and moveon.org  type people are pushing for involving the world community (an option  somewhat dimmed by the car bomb at UN headquarters in Baghdad.)<<

Now check out the actual text of the site:

http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/

>>Not one more troop killed in action. Not one more troop wounded in action. Not one more troop psychologically damaged by the act of terrifying, humiliating, injuring or killing innocent people. Not one more troop spending one more day inhaling depleted uranium. Not one more troop separated from spouse and children. This is the only way to truly support these troops, and the families who are just as much part of the military as they are.

Bush says "Bring 'em on." We say "BRING THEM HOME NOW!"<<

Final comment: do you think they could have said just one damned unadulterated thing about the tens of thousands of Iraqis dead and wounded since the start of this war? American troops murdering Iraqis is a victimization of Americans first and foremost because it psychologically traumatises them?

Really, the population of Iraq is closer to doing something about the war than your masses of Americans worried about their troops. And a great deal better informed probably. Revelations to follow.

DR