FRIDA KAHLO AND DIEGO RIVERA

viveka kaliyuga at humboldt1.com
Thu Aug 21 04:41:14 MDT 2003

> Geoffrey Rush, who is a brilliant character actor, nevertheless, was
rather
> miscast. He made a strange and improbable Trotsky.

Was he really "miscast" or was he deliberately chosen to play Trotsky as a
harmless eviscerated dottering old man rather than a brilliant elder
statesman/revolutionary who just happened to share leadership in a 10 day
event that shook the world.  Of my many disappointments in this film, this
portrayal of Trotsky infuriates me the most.

> For instance, the cultural clash with the
> reactionary philistine Rockefeller over the Radio City mural, is captured
> brilliantly.

A much more effective portrayal of this particular event and the characters
of Frida, Diego and Rockefeller was, IMHO, portrayed in The Cradle Will
Rock.

Maggie