UfPJ and Oct. 25

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 21 20:58:59 MDT 2003

I pretty much agree with everything Fred said. My "wild speculation" was
meant at least partially to initiate a discussion on the subject and I think
I succeeded. But what I still don't understand is this - go to the UfPJ web
page at http://www.unitedforpeace.org/. On the front page, you'll find them
prominently selling stickers reading as follows: "Bush lies. Who dies? End
the occupation of Iraq. Bring the troops home now!" This, of course, except
for the first part, is word-for-word the organizing demand of Oct. 25.
Furthermore, if you go to their events listings
(http://www.unitedforpeace.org/calendar.php), you'll find more than one
listed event (for example, a march in Chicago this Saturday) with exactly
the same demand. This seems to leave out-and-out sectarianism as the only
possible reason for the failure to endorse, or even list in their calendar,
the Oct. 25 demonstration.