"And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda"

Adam Levenstein cleon42 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 21:06:22 MDT 2003

--- Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
> There's another song titled "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by
>
> Australian folksinger Eric Bogle that is very relevant to today's
> world.
> I'm became familiar with the version performed by the great Irish
> punk rock
> band The Pogues. You can hear a brief audio clip at:

Hah! Beatcha! ;)

My first introduction to the song was by the Irish folk group, the
Dubliners. I've heard the Pogues' version, but the Dubliners give it a
really haunting, wistful aire that I think really gives the song its
due. But that's just my opinion.

(Of course, this is one of the songs I do in my not-yet-launched folk
career that I imagine will pave the way for my greatness. OK, I'm
hoping it'll pay for gas and dinner when I perform.)

=====
Adam Levenstein                          cleon42 at yahoo.com
ICQ: 17125158

"The power of accurate observation is frequently
called cynicism by those who don't have it."
                                   - George Bernard Shaw