Exchange with Fred Feldman about the dreaded "staircase" effect

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Fri Aug 22 11:10:31 MDT 2003

Lou wrote:

> Les will back me up on this but we used to stress the need to avoid
> the staircase effect regularly and even put up instructions on the
> technical notes page of Marxmail about how to get rid of it.

there is emailstripper:

i tried it on fred's last staircase and it worked fine. yes, i did
notice it created long lines for paragraphs. i'll look into taht.

when we switch to new list server we will eventually develop a script
which will handle reformatting.

> If you are referring to "worse" in terms of formatting, then I wish
> you'd be more specific. I absolutely hate unreadable posts.

staircasing is the worst in terms of readability. i'd be surprised if
we couldn't find studies on how the eye/brain processes reading
material that would support a push for non-staircased posts.

now, since fred has revealed his feelings, i will do likewise. i've
been here as long as fred has been posting, i can't say i've learned a
single solitary goddamn thing from anything he's ever posted. i don't
really even KNOW what he's posted about.

now fred doubtless feels likewise about my own posts, cause i know he
doesnt read them. more than once, including today, i've forwarded a
post that was a reply to his "broadcasts", only to see he's done the
same after mine have been delivered.

and this is what bothers me about fred's participation here. its
mainly a one way thing with him. he's hittin us with all the news that
fit to print, but not really engaging in the realtime rap. at least
not on the threads i've been involved with or followed. and that's
weird too, cause i posted a bunch of stuff on the power blackout last
week. did i hear a peep from fred? hell no. but when i posted Pollocks
response to fred on nationalising the power industries, sure enough he
goes ahead and doubles on the send as if there ain't no one else home
at marxmail.

so -- and i'd have to check the archives on this -- unless you're
talkin SWP shit, which i guess engages fred (i tune out), we're simply
non-existent ears for his latest broadcast. i say, the hell with
that. ain't why i am here on the list.

no, i wont reformat his posts for him. let him do it his damn self,
like there's real people at the other end gonna read 'em. And THAT'S
what bothers me most about the staircase with him, he just don't seem
to give a damn.

les schaffer

p.s. let me repeat what i just said in a language i know fred
recognizes:

Lou wrote:

> Les will back me
up on this but we used to stress the need to avoid
> the
staircase effect regularly and even put up instructions on the
> technical notes page of Marxmail about how to get rid of it.

there is emailstripper:

i tried it
on fred's
     last staircase and it worked fine. yes, i did
notice it created long lines for paragraphs. i'll look into taht.

when we switch to new list
   server we will eventually develop a script
which will handle reformatting.

  you are referring to "worse" in terms of formatting, then I wish
e specific. I absolutely hate unreadable posts.

staircasing is the worst in
 terms of readability. i'd be surprised if
we couldn't find studies
on how the eye/brain processes reading
                  material that would support a push for non-staircased posts.

since fred has revealed his feelings, i will do likewise. i've been
>here as long as fred has been posting, i can't say i've learned a
single
           solitary goddamn thing from anything he's posted. i don't

.
[...]

   es sch   >>>     affer

Capiche?????