Philological question

Jurriaan Bendien bendien at tomaatnet.nl
Sun Aug 24 12:47:18 MDT 2003

James,

I found it, Marx says:

"Assume man to be man and his relationship to the world to be a human one:
then you can exchange love only for love, trust for trust, etc. If you want
to enjoy art, you must be an artistically cultivated person; if you want to
exercise influence over other people, you must be a person with a
stimulating and encouraging effect on other people. Every one of your
relations to man and to nature must be a specific expression, corresponding
to the object of your will, of your real individual life. If you love
without evoking love in return--that is, if your loving as loving does not
produce reciprocal love; if through a living expression of yourself as a
loving person you do not make yourself a beloved one, then your love is
impotent--a misfortune." MECW, Vol.3, p. 326.

I had this quote on my noticeboard when I worked as statistician, but that
wasn't such a good idea, I got a bit more than I bargained for.

I really enjoy Marx's Paris Manuscripts, which, because of the influence of
Stalinism and Althusserianism, have been frequently ignored, and hence
distorted Marxian scholarship (refer Takahisa Oishi, The Unknown Marx,
introd. Terrell Carver, a book which Richard Harris kindly retrieved for me,
out of the boot of his car).

Les Schaffer may be interested in the numerous observations Marx makes about
science in his 1844 Paris Manuscripts, although possibly Les would not wish
to use MECW 3 in consulting the relevant passages.

All the best,

Jurriaan