Dean No Dove

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:47:25 MDT 2003

Well, he's certainly making it easier to explain to liberal/progressive
friends what you get when you get a Democrat. What he has to say about the
"imposition" of a constitution for Iraq is especially telling.

>From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40299-2003Aug24.html:

"That last charge -- that he can't win because he's too liberal or dovish --
is obviously one he's giving thought to. "I don't even consider myself a
dove," he told me."

"It's true that he opposed the war in Iraq, he says, but he supported the
1991 Gulf War and the Bush campaign against the Taliban in Afghanistan."

On Iraq: ""Now that we're there, we're stuck," he said. Bush took an
"enormous risk" that through war the United States could replace Saddam
Hussein and the "small danger" he presented to the United States with
something better and safer. The gamble was "foolish" and "wrong." But
whoever will be elected in 2004 has to live with it. "We have no choice.
It's a matter of national security. If we leave and we don't get a democracy
in Iraq, the result is very significant danger to the United States."

And "bringing democracy to Iraq is not a two-year proposition. Having
elections alone doesn't guarantee democracy. You've got to have institutions
and the rule of law, and in a country that hasn't had that in 3,000 years,
it's unlikely to suddenly develop by having elections and getting the heck
out." Dean would impose a "hybrid" constitution, "American with Iraqi, Arab
characteristics. Iraqis have to play a major role in drafting this, but the
Americans have to have the final say." Women's rights must be guaranteed at
all levels.

Dean is almost as sweeping about Afghanistan, where "losing the peace is not
an option" and "pulling out early would be a disaster." Five times the
current level of troops are needed, he said. "Imagine making deals with
warlords to promote democracy. What are these people thinking?"