Baghdad bombing: two quotes and two comments.

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 20:41:26 MDT 2003

I believe the traditional Marxist position is against INDIVIDUAL terror as a
tactic on the grounds that it demotivates the entry of the masses into
political life through the logic that social change can be accomplished by
small, dedicated, secret groups and individuals. Further, that assassinating
individual members of the ruling classes, czars, presidents, etc., teaches
the wrong lesson about whom to struggle against and why. I believe that Jose
is essentially correct in his estimation of all UN forces as partners of the
occupation, regardless of what they are individually doing. I do not see
this bombing as an act of individual terror and I don't see how we could,
from here especially, draw the conclusion that it will tend to drive the
Iraqi masses away from the struggle to rid their country of the occupiers.
Paraphrase from Trotsky:  all methods are good than increase the fighting
spirit of the masses, their self-confidence, and their will to struggle.

Twenty-four people is not very many on the scale of the total number of
occupiers of Iraq, counting all the US-UK-Hungarian etc forces, the US
civilians, Halliburtonites, and UN types of all stripes. The bomb was not a
decisive MILITARY event; it was a political blow, a propaganda action,
designed to send a message. And what message? I take the message to be that
all occupiers, all their toadies, all their henchmen, and everybody they
bring along to give them cover, are legitimate targets of the resistance.
Further, it was designed to show just how thin is the US control of Iraq
today, how impossible it is and how much more impossible it will become to
pacify the country to the extent that oilmen can walk around and do their
thing unmimpeded. Everyone of the occupiers, after all, cannot work and live
in those well-fortified Saddamite palaces and accomplish their goals.

I believe another part of the message is to all those contingents the US is
counting on from the newly recruited NATO countries and other hangers-on of
the Coalition of the Willing: do not think there will be such a thing as
harmless and safe guard duty, or any place that you will be safe outside of
your fortified camps, or any amount of lollipops you can hand out to our
children that will turn you from being targets to friends or even tolerated
visitors. The Japanese are already backing down on sending troops to Iraq
this year, and what is that but a good thing?

David McDonald