Ozleft's Ilusions on Iraq as Post-War Germany

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Aug 29 12:13:37 MDT 2003

I think nobody really knows yet what European analogy might best apply
to what happens in Iraq.  The fact that people are grappling towards a
European analogy hardly inspires me with confidence.  These things will
have their own dynamics and we are just going to have to see how and
where the people there decide to move.

However, one possible European analogy that might yet apply could be
that of the Franco-Prussian War in 1870-71.  A wretched Prussian regime
attacked a wretched French regime, sparking a nationalist reaction that
outlasted the pathetic imperial authority of Napoleon III and created
the Paris Commune.  If so, there will be an immense responsibility on
the Left outside of Iraq to prevent by any means necessary a repetition
of the Commune's end.

Solidarity!
Mark L.