Hillel Ticktin, or, is there an economic crisis ?

Nicholas Siemensma nsiemensma at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 30 20:54:07 MDT 2003

Wonderful post, Jurriaan, though I've a problem with
the opening.  We have a coexistence of surplus capital
in particular locations and phases, and a general
capital shortage.  There is both too much capital and
too little, and as you say this maps on to huge and
fundamental imbalances in the social geography of
class realities, and is inscribed into the fundamental
division between North and South.  Imperialism has
successfully externalised the overheads of chronic
crisis, and this is the basis of ruling class hubris
and self-absorption.

But crises have many forms of appearance and
reinforcing negative tendencies, including profits
crises (and we obviously disagree about the existence
of this), which depending on scale and proximity to
everyday existential reality, are represented in
collective (class) consciousness.  While the obvious,
painful crisis of the working class and its social
allies in peripheral and semi-peripheral states is
rarely directly manifest in everyday life for the
imperial bourgeoisie, it comes back in distorted,
non-transparent forms, and surely this is the very
meaning of 'blowback'.  Where did Lenin say: 'politics
is the concentrated expression of economics'?

Nick

http://search.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Search