Bush and the nuclear button

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 1 05:01:13 MST 2003

The full layout (including pictures) of the following press item is to found
on my web-site at
<http://apling.freeservers.com/Kosovo/IraqEDP010203.htm> along with a
comment of mine and other anti-war letters in the Norfolk paper.

>From the Eastern Daily Press, Norwich, England, 1st February, 2003

by Mark Nicholls:

President hovers over the Iraq nuclear button

When I was a child I thought I was growing up in a dangerous world in which
world war had given way to Cold War and the nerve-wracking stalemate of
nuclear deterrence.

How pleased I would be now to swap that potentially cataclysmic tripwire for
the far more frightening prospects facing today's children. Even amid the
worst fighting in Korea and Vietnam or the nightmare of the Cuban missile
crisis, it still seemed that common sense would prevail and pull the world
back from the precipice of a nuclear Armageddon.

Now the common sense seems to have flown out of the White House window and
has been replaced by a bellicose posturing in which the use of nukes becomes
frighteningly possible.

President George W Bush has finally let the genie out of the bottle
following his signing of a declaration that the US reserves the right to
respond with "overwhelming force including potentially nuclear weapons" if
Saddam Hussein uses chemical or biological arms.

His classified national security directive - revealed yesterday by the
Washington Post - replaces the ' phrase "all of our options" used in public
documents, with "nuclear weapons", to make the threat clear. Of course, the
past half century has seen numerous examples of nuclear sabre rattling by a
variety of countries, initially from Russia and China and, more recently,
from India and Pakistan.

None, though, has appeared more likely to carry out the threat than the
latest occupant of the White House, who seems determined to carry on with
his Iraq attack regardless of the growing calls for peace and reason
worldwide.

Three East Anglian bishops and many of their parishioners' voices joined
those calls yesterday, as the president's drive to launch an attack on
Saddam made it seem more of an inevitability rather than a probability.

No one is saying that Saddam is not an evil dictator who probably gives
succour to terrorists and harbours a burning desire to destabilise the West.

But even the president's right-hand man, our own Prime Minister Tony Blair,
was urging caution yesterday, at least in seeking a second UN resolution
authorising military action "if necessary".

I can't help wondering what Mr Blair is thinking and saying privately even
at the pair's White House summit yesterday - about the speed and scale of
the president's military intentions.

I can't also help wondering about those children in Iraq who were
unfortunate enough to have been born under the curse of Saddam, and who now
face the probability of Bush's military - possibly nuclear holocaust.

©: Mark Nicholls and Eastern Daily Press, 2003.

Greetings
Paddy
NFHS Member #5594
Mailto:E.C.Apling at btinternet.com