Feb 15 fight for rights to protest

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Feb 2 09:39:43 MST 2003

This is an appeal to ALL the major anti-war coalitions in NY -- UPJ,
ANSWER, NION -- to throw themselves into the struggle for the February 15
march permit, so far refused by the police, and mobilize people in the
streets to demand that the city respect (what's left of) our constitutional
rights. IMHO, A massive crowd at 1 Police Plaza, City Hall or wherever they
are negotiating the permit should help lubricate the "negotiation process."
Or better yet, at all three sites. It's that important. Plus agitation and
mobilization around this blatantly anti-democratic measure by the NYPD and
their superiors can only serve to build the February 15 action. And with or
without the permit the organizers should be prepared to rally AND march on
February 15. Will the cops stand in the way of several hundred thousand or
a million people?

Mike Friedman
Ph.D. Candidate
Ecology, Evolutionary Biology and Behavior
City University of New York

American Museum of Natural History
Molecular Systematics Laboratory
Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, N.Y. 10024
P: (212) 313-7646       F: (212) 769-5277