Feb 15 fight for rights to protest

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Sun Feb 2 11:52:48 MST 2003

... and here's where DMS goes wrong. Yes, it is about rights, rights which
the majority of the U.S. working class believes are worthy of defending,
rights which have enabled us to organize to defend our interests. The
rulers know this, which is why they attempt to erase those rights whenever
it is in their interest. In hte present case, the struggle against war and
the struggle for our democratic rights are intertwined. Just ask the
thousands of Muslims who have been imprisoned and deported, the Green Party
members who have been prevented from boarding airplanes, the mom who was
forced to drink from her "suspicious-looking" bottle of breast milk before
she was allowed to board a plane. And since most beople believe in those
rights, when they are attacked by the ruling class THAT gives us the
"opportunity" to champion those rights, to participate in building mass
mobilizations in their defense AND against war, and in THIS way "take the
discussion beyond the
bourgeois parameters of "rights," "liberties," etc." Ultraleft blather to
the contrary, this is the way to "go beyond obscuring ideology," in action
and not just in "discussion."