Uncle Duke confronts the warmakers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 3 11:03:24 MST 2003

Entertainment - AP

Hunter Thompson Rallies at Peace March
Mon Feb 3, 7:09 AM ET  Add Entertainment - AP to My Yahoo!

By The Associated Press

ASPEN, Colo. - Journalist Hunter S. Thompson and former Colorado Gov.
Dick Lamm helped hundreds express their fear and loathing over a
potential war against Iraq.

They rallied in a park Saturday, while athletes competed nearby in the
2003 Winter X-Games.

Thompson, who was involved in many anti-war protests during the Vietnam
War and was a critic of President Nixon during the Watergate
investigation, said presidents can be driven out of office.

"You can beat City Hall," said Thompson. "I've been to a few of these
things. I've become almost homesick for the smell of tear gas."

Demonstrators carried signs reading "Give peace a chance" and "Let there
be peace on Earth" and listened to speakers and a high school group
performing a rap song.

"We wanted to send a message to Washington that young people are against
this war," organizer Steve Chaplain said.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org