Trotsky on nuclear power

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Feb 4 18:30:38 MST 2003

On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:55:55 -0500 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

> >what year did he write this in?
> >
> >les
>
> I found the passage in Deutscher's anthology, which is long out of
> print,
> but doing a google search I discovered it on MIA, which says that it
> was
> written in 1926.
>
> http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1926/1926-science.htm
>
> I might also say a few words at some point about Trotsky's long-time
>
> infatuation with Freudianism, which is about as reductionist a
> "science" as
> one can find. In fact, I just might write an article tieing all
> these
> things together.

As I understand it, Trotsky thought that psychoanalysis could
be synthesized with Pavlov's reflexology, a view not unlike
the views held by a number of American psychologists of that
period such as John Dollard and Neal Millers'
"Psychoanalytic Learning Theory"  which
was an attempt to translate Freudian theory into the language,
concepts, and hypotheses of learning theory
and so make it more scientific (experimentally testable),
for example.

Jim F.