Trotsky, Trotskyism and beyond

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Wed Feb 5 15:33:27 MST 2003

>>If it were only Trotsky, it would be one thing. But it is
really Trotskyism that I am questioning

>This questions Trotskyism and Marxism, doesn't it?

I'd say Marxists have always been tempted by a kind of "scientism" which
looked to capitalist science too uncritically for evidence that humanity
could make the leap from the "realm of necessity" to that of freedom. (The
real basis for this is the argument about abolishing alienated labour, and
with it the constraints on human creativity.) Lenin thought the German post
office showed what wonderful efficiencies were possible, didn't he? We
would hardly think that today.

I can't see how this is specific to Trotskyism. Whatever the foibles of the
Militant, it was better on nuclear power than the Soviet-liners and
Maoists, who were still saying it was OK under the regimes they supported.
Until Chernobyl, anyway. As for Trotsky himself, whatever his faults he was
a lot better than that Lysenko guy.