Police stonewall, Feb. 15 protest gains! Back our rights

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Wed Feb 5 22:04:47 MST 2003

**PLEASE FORWARD**
Dear Friend of United for Peace & Justice:

On February 15, hundreds of thousands of people will converge on New
York City to stand with millions
around the globe against the Bush Administration's plan for war on Iraq.
While we are still unable to announce a location for this march and
rally, one thing is certain: It is happening. We urge all those who
oppose the war crusade to continue mobilizing full speed ahead for
February 15. Continue with your plans to come to New York City -- we are
confident a permit will come through.

But we are facing a major fight over our basic democratic right to
public protest. At our meeting today with
lawyers for New York City and the NYPD, our request for a march permit
was again refused. We have asked to assemble near the United Nations,
march directly past the U.N., and then continue through Manhattan to a
rally at Central Park. We are consulting with our lawyers and will
announce our next step tomorrow, Wednesday, February 5.

With only 10 days remaining before February 15, the continued
stonewalling by the police can only be seen as an active effort to
prevent us from voicing our opposition to this war. We will not be
silenced -- the streets of New York will be filled with a cry for peace.

What can you do? Make more phone calls (numbers below). Make your travel
plans. Recruit your friends.
Donate some money. Fill more buses, hand out more leaflets -- and we'll
see you in New York City on
February 15.

**NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg: 212-788-9600, 212-788-3010, 212-788-3040
**NYC Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly: 646-610-8526
**NYPD Chief of Department Joseph Esposito: 646-610-6710

To make a donation, download leaflets, view our ride or housing boards,
endorse the February demonstration, or sign up for these updates, visit
our website: http://www.unitedforpeace.org/feb15

Buttons, stickers, posters, and leaflets are available at our New York
City office, 330 West 42nd Street, 8th floor (between 8th & 9th Avenues)
from 9-9 on weekdays and 10-6 on weekends. Phone: 646-473-8935

Thanks for your support -- together we can stop this war.

Sincerely,
The February 15 organizing staff of
United for Peace and Justice

**please excuse duplicate mailings - we are sending this to two
overlapping lists to ensure the widest possible distribution**

----
To send UFP announcements or emergency alerts, please email:
ufp at lists.riseup.net

To join the DISCUSS List send an email to: ufp_com-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
and then you can send any discussion, articles or news items to:
ufp_com at yahoogroups.com