Higher still and higher was Re: Labour aristocracy: reply to Ben

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Wed Feb 5 22:43:33 MST 2003

>>And I benefit from being in Australia, where
>>living standards are higher than in Britain...

>You obviously never heard the English Cricket supporters >chanting "Three
dollars to the pound", Tom.  They were of >course referring to the exchange
rate and they would take a >bit of convincing that our living standards are
higher.

Gary, I suspect this is tongue in cheek. If not, it's the same logic that
once convinced people that living standards were higher in Japan. But
exchange rates are misleading. Have a look at how people actually live --
the quality of housing, food and so on. Unless conditions have improved
dramatically since my last visit to Britain, I think we're better off in
Australia.

But it doesn't matter. I could have made the same point by saying
Australians are "better off than New Zealanders" or whatever. It still has
nothing to do with Lenin's theory.

At any rate, I was at the opening day of the Boxing Day test match, and
chanting "three dollars to the pound" was poor consolation compared to
watching their bowlers hit all round the ground by Langer and Hayden...