Higher still and higher was Re: Labour aristocracy: reply to Ben

LouPaulsen LouPaulsen at attbi.com
Thu Feb 6 02:31:54 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom O'Lincoln" <suarsos at alphalink.com.au>
To: <marxism at lists.panix.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 11:43 PM
Subject: Higher still and higher was Re: Labour aristocracy: reply to Ben

> >>And I benefit from being in Australia, where
> >>living standards are higher than in Britain...
>
> >You obviously never heard the English Cricket supporters >chanting "Three
> dollars to the pound", Tom.  They were of course referring to the exchange
> rate and they would take a bit of convincing that our living standards are
> higher.
>
> Gary, I suspect this is tongue in cheek. If not, it's the same logic that
> once convinced people that living standards were higher in Japan.

If 'A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court' is to be credited, the
English people have been singularly clueless on this point for about 1200
years now :-)

The Australians who sell on eBay apparently believe that the rest of the
world is clueless, because they constantly put language in their listings
like "Save 40%! Australian dollar is only 60 cents US."

LPa