Higher still and higher

T.Hartin t.hartin at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 02:41:12 MST 2003

> Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:17:09 +1000
> From: Gary Maclennan <g.maclennan at qut.edu.au>
> Subject: Higher still and higher was Re: Labour aristocracy: reply to Ben
>
> At 12:43 PM 6/02/2003 +1100, Tom  wrote:
>

> >  And I benefit from being in Australia, where
> >living standards are higher than in Britain...
>

> You obviously never heard the English Cricket supporters chanting "Three
> dollars to the pound", Tom.  They were of course referring to the exchange
> rate and they would take a bit of convincing that our living standards are
> higher.
>
> Gary

Ahh...but they estimate that the cost of living here in London is 5 times
that in Australia, though that changes quite dramatically when you get out
of London which is why

(a) A lot of London workers live on the outskirts
(b) Our union (AUT) is on strike for a big increase in the London
weighting - £4,000 a year on top of your salary (I don't know why they
don't call it UK weighting and fight for it for everyone)

Still, as I recently discovered, pounds buy you three times as many beers
in Aus... which is why I expect the english cricket supporters were in
such a jolly mood despite the drubbing at the hands of the colonialists

cheers,
Tony