Burdens of Empire on the Working Class

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 6 16:24:16 MST 2003

Sam Pawlett wrote:
>Forgot to add that US imperialism has resulted in the massive importation of
>drugs into the country. The results of that on American working class
>communities is well known.

I can't think of a better source book on the hidden costs of empire than
Baran and Sweezy's "Monopoly Capital". This passage is actually included in
the "words of struggle" section from www.marxmail.org:

---
Asked if he liked his job, one of John Updike’s characters replied, "Hell,
it wouldn’t be a job if I liked it." All but a tiny minority of specially
lucky or privileged workers would undoubtedly agree. There is nothing
inherently interesting about most of the narrowly sub-divided tasks which
workers are obliged to perform; and with the purpose of the job at best
obscure and at worst humanly degrading, the worker can find no satisfaction
in what his efforts accomplish. As far as he is concerned, the one
justification is the paycheck. The paycheck is the key to whatever
gratifications are allowed to working people in this society: such
self-respect, status, and recognition by one’s fellows as can be achieved
depend primarily on the possession of material objects. The worker’s house,
the model of his automobile, his wife’s clothes—all assume major
significance as indexes of success or failure. And yet within the existing
social framework these objects of consumption increasingly lose their
capacity to satisfy. Forces similar to those which destroy the worker’s
identification with his work lead to the erosion of his self-identification
as a consumer. With goods being sought for their status-bearing qualities,
the drive to substitute the newer and more expensive for the older and
cheaper ceases to be related to the serviceability of the goods and becomes
a means of climbing up a rung on the social ladder.
---

That being said, I am not quite sure that the kind of alienation described
at great length in "Monopoly Capital" and that is reflected in drug use
(either illegal like cocaine or legal like prozac and alcohol), overeating,
binge shopping, broken marriages, clinical depression, etc., is the sort of
thing that will make people open to revolutionary ideas. I think the cost
of maintaining an empire will eventually become so costly in terms of loss
of life and fortune that workers will have to act on their underlying class
interests. That day may be rapidly approaching.