Burdens of Empire on the Working Class

Rob Ryan robryan at rogers.com
Fri Feb 7 07:13:08 MST 2003

For a relatively early look at this question, you can check out J. A.
Hobson's Imperialism (1903). He attempts to point out both the economic,
political and moral burdens and benefits to different classes, strata and
sections of the population.

I personally find the argumentation in this book alternatively fascinating
and bizarre and haven't quite made up my mind on it. Perhaps this is because
it's written by a certain type of intellectual with, as Lenin says, a
social-pacifist outlook. It's defnitely anti-imperialism, and quite good in
its way, but to me at least, it's a strange sort of anti-imperialism.

Rob Ryan
Ottawa