Action about Iraq -- Please read

Gilles d'Aymery aymery at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 7 18:21:55 MST 2003

[A friend from Chicago sent the following -- appended is my own
action (it's in French, you know the "old Europe"... Well I'm old!) Old
or young, kindly act upon this friend's message. And Louis, if this is
not proper for the list, please let me know on/off list. Thank you.
Gilles]

Below you will find a very good idea that's been broached by Mark
Crispin Miller with the hope of shoring up French Government
resistance in the UN Security Council to any U.S./U.K. effort to pass
a resolution legitimating the coming U.S./U.K. war over Iraq (i.e.,
cloaking their war of aggression with UN legalese--not that anyone
honestly believes the terms of this maneuver, incidentally).-- Anyway.
He writes:

"I just spoke to the  French Mission to the UN, urging them as a U.S.
citizen to vote against any  resolution authorizing war against Iraq--
rather than abstaining, which  apparently is what the Bush
administration is expecting them to do.  The  person who answered
the phone asked if I would put that in writing--and offered  to give me
the mission's email address. "I found this encouraging--suggesting that
at least some people in the mission are arguing for  casting a veto, and
would like to have evidence of grassroots U.S. support for  such a
move.   If you would like to provide such evidence, send a quick note
to france-presse at un.int. "You don't have to explain at length WHY
they should veto--they would like to veto.   Just tell them that you
think they ought to veto too."

Miller also adds the email addresses to the Permanent Missions to the
UN of China and Russia, too (they, along with the U.S., U.K., and
France comprising the "Permanent Five" members capable of vetoing
any resolution that comes before the Security Council):

    * China: chnun at undp.org
    * Russia: rf.mission at atnet.at

One might, however, if one is so inclined, remember to underscore the
fact that the United Nations (i.e., I mean the grand vision of a
peacefully-ruled international order of the kind enumerated in the UN
Charter--in the wake of the catastrophic destruction of not one, but
TWO, World Wars last century), in the name of upholding all of the
previous UN Security Council resolutions dating back to early
August, 1990, has been commandeered by American Power (and its
"toy poodle," Britain) in a way that, ultimately, CIRCUMVENTS and
even CONTRAVENES the raison d'etre of the United Nations itself
as a collective, democratic body organized to "save succeeding
generations from the scourge of war." Finally, as Miller urges
everyone who receives a copy of this email, "Please pass this on!
This may be the last best chance of preventing war." Yes, indeed.
Please DO pass it on.  Whether you yourself are willing to
act upon it or not.
Unquote

[My follow-up on the above message: (again it is in French. I can
translate if needed)]

Cher Monsieur ou Madame,

En tant que citoyen français, vivant aux Etats Unis depuis 1982, je
vous implore de bien vouloir exercer le veto de la France dans le cas
d’une nouvelle résolution du Conseil de Sécurité des Nations Unies
qui aurait pour object d’approuver une intervention militaire contre
l’Iraq.

Mr. Rumfeld peut penser que la France (et l‘Allemagne) appartient à
la “vieille Europe” mais n’oublions jamais la Déclaration Universelle
des Droits de l’Homme. N’oublions pas non plus notre expérience
vécue, et celle de nos frères et soeurs allemands, des horreurs et
destructions provoquées par la violence.

Président Hussein n’est pas Hitler et Président Chirac n’est pas
Chamberlain. Dans cette époque historique, alors que nous faisons
face à la destruction écologique de notre planète et la paupérisation
accentuée de milliards d’êtres humains, il est plus que temps de dire
NON à la propagande, NON à la domination, NON à la guerre
“sans fin” pour des ressources pétrolières.

Au nom de l’humanité, au nom du people iraquien, au nom de mes
amis américains qui, dans une grande majorité, refusent cette orgie de
violence, et en mon nom, je vous prie encore de bien vouloir exercer
le pouvoir de la France.

Salutations distinguées,

Gilles d’Aymery
[street address and phone number]
http://www.swans.com/

[Louis, please excuse me for the use of the bandwidth. Friends, please
act!]

Gilles d'Aymery
Swans