NY City Council sets "Black Protest for Peace Month"

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Feb 8 21:38:27 MST 2003

Will the march permit be far behind?
Fred Feldman

New York City Council Proclamation

The Council of the City of New York is pleased and proud to join family,
friends and distinguished community members in declaring Black History Month
"Black Protest for Peace Month" in the City of New York; and

WHEREAS: February, being Black History Month, is a time to celebrate and
proudly extol the cultural heritage of all people of African descent; it is
also a time to reflect on the African-American experience, a time when we
honor and remember, with special gratitude, the many illustrious
achievements
and contributions that African-Americans have made to all aspects of our
national life; and

WHEREAS: Today, our celebration is tempered by the knowledge that our nation
is on the cusp of yet another war, a war which seems patently unjust: a war
which holds not the promise for future peace but rather more ruin,
devastation and mass destruction; a war that will be fought by tens of
thousands of young men and women, many from the African-American community:
and

WHEREAS: African-Americans have a rich and proud history of fighting for the
ideals that have ensured the prosperity and progress of our country; they
have also courageously protested against war and sought peaceful resolutions
to global conflicts; and

WHEREAS: Chief among the many leaders who have preached tolerance and
understanding in time of war was the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., whose
"Why
I Oppose War in Vietnam" speech, delivered at Riverside Church almost 36
years ago, still resonates today with the force of prophesy and moral
indignation; and

WHEREAS: Black history is nothing if not a history of struggle against what
Dr. King called the three evils: racism, poverty and militarism; these
social
and societal ills, which are firmly in our thoughts during Black History
Month, can all be connected to the very real need to stop this war; and

WHEREAS: Through the exemplary and courageous leadership of individuals such
as Rev. Herbert Daughtry, Rev. Al Sharpton, Larry Holmes, Ron Daniels and
Monica Moorehead, we have been given the opportunity to make a difference
and
take a stand against the Bush administration's hysterical rush to war; it is
with this in mind that we declare Black History Month "Black Protest for
Peace Month; now, therefore

BE IT KNOWN: That the Council of the City of New York declares February 2003
as BLACK PROTEST FOR PEACE MONTH In the City of New York

Signed this 7th day of February in the Year Two Thousand and Three

Charles Barron Council Member, 42nd District