Forwarded from Anthony (reply to Tom)

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Mon Feb 10 15:47:06 MST 2003

Hi Anthony

Thanks for your post, it clarifies a lot. In addition to the politics of
youth rebellion, you are apparently still influenced by the ideas that the
Panthers developed in the sixties -- orientation to the ghetto poor rather
than organised workers. Given this starting point it's logical you would
equate the latter with the labour aristocracy.

But hey I know a bit about all this. For example, I know where Oakland is -
I lived there, in  a largely black neighbourhood. I also know that over
time, militant workers began to turn against the war ... yes, even the hard
hats. People change in struggle. That's dialectics. The Panthers' theories
were  (in this aspect -- of course I have great admiration for most of what
they did) self-isolating; and later they collapsed into their opposite by
embracing the Democratic Party. Dialectics again.

>>When workers win concessions through their struggle they become more
conservative. That's dialectics kiddo. Start thinking, stop lagging.<<

Personally I think that by winning concessions, workers can also gain in
confidence. This makes them open to radical ideas. It can go either way,
depending on the political struggle. That's dialectics too. But if we
dismiss them as aristocrats, we are less likely to wage that political
struggle in the first place.

best
Tom