Antidemocratic ruling, but rally, fight for march go on

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Tue Feb 11 00:28:16 MST 2003

PLEASE FORWARD                 PLEASE FORWARD

Evening all,
   At an update meeting of the organizers and organizing groups of the
February 15th Rally (and march?) the following was covered and we thought
you should know:

Good news -
1. There are protests in over 300 cities internationally this coming
weekend.
2. There are numerousfeeder marches leading into the rally.
3. The rally is happening and it will be huge - it is the march we have to
work on (see below).
4. There is a great need for volunteers for the days leading up to and the
day of the event. To volunteer over the next few days email Gina. To
volunteer for the day of the rally please attend one of the following
meetings - Wednesday 7-9 pm or Thursday 8 pm (at the UFPJ office 330 W. 42nd
St. 8th Floor - bet. 8th and 9th Aves.) if you cannot make either of these
meeting email Gina.
5. This weekend we distributed over 300,000 leaflets but there are still one
or two people who don't know about the rally. Help find them by leafleting
the next few days. Email Leslie to find out how!

Bad news and ways to fix them.
1. Federal Judge Barbara Jones sided with the City and ruled against the
march permit. We do however have a rallying permit and the rally will go on!
Please reinforce that last point so people know to still show up. THERE WILL
BE A LEGAL RALLY! One interesting point that came out in the deposition, by
the Police, was a general rule against all protest marches below 59th St.
This is becoming a major test of recent Civil Rights abuses as this is the
first time that position has come to light and is being challenged.

2. We are appealing this decision and so:
- We want to flood the court room and the streets - we will send out
information about when (probably Tuesday or Wednesday) and where (somewhere
in the federal court house downtown) when we find out.
- There are a few "friend of the court" (I wont even try the Latin) papers
being drafted to be signed by prominent political and community leaders,
well known lawyers, and community groups. If you have access to any of the
above please email with information.
-Call and write to those below insisting on our right to dissent and protest
(the precedent must be set on our side). Please note as the numbers become
bombarded they are canceled and changed so please keep trying and let us
know of your successes and failures.

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg: 212-788-9600, 212-788-3010, 212-788-3040, Fax:
(212) 788-2460, email

NYC Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly: 646-610-8526, email

NYPD Chief of Department Joseph Esposito: 646-610-6710, email

Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) (212) 688-6262, Fax: (212) 688-7444, email
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) (212) 486-4430, (202) 224-6542 Fax: (212)
486-7693, (202) 228-3027

President George Bush (202) 456-1414 Fax# (202) 456-2461, email

-Contact local media (an incomplete list for more visit our website)
Phil Donahue Live
UPN 9 News
7 Eyewitness News
Fox 5 News
NPR ombudsman and see the full program contact list.

So that is the good, the bad, and the activism.

Forward, always forward.