Student fined for damage

John O'Neill johnfergaloneill at eircom.net
Fri Feb 14 06:16:37 MST 2003

Student fined for damage
By Gordon Deegan

  A peace campaigner was yesterday given a six-month suspended jail term
after being found guilty of the criminal damage of a US Hercules jet at
Shannon airport last September 4th.

At Shannon District Court yesterday, Judge Joseph Mangan convicted Eoin
Dubsky (22) Whitewalls, Ballymoney, Gorey, Co Wexford, of causing the
criminal damage to the US military aircraft. Judge Mangan suspended the jail
term on condition that the DCU student stays out of Co Clare for two years,
keeps the peace during the same period, and pays a fine of ?1,000.

Prior to the sentence being delivered, Dubsky's solicitor, Mr Paul O'Shea,
told the court in mitigation that what Dubsky did was in accordance with his
beliefs and was not an act of vandalism.

Evidence in the case was heard at Tulla District Court in December where
Dubsky claimed that the spray-painting of anti-war graffiti on the US
Hercules aircraft "was an act of disarmament and was entirely justifiable".

Dubsky claimed that he had lawful excuse in carrying out the damage to the
jet. The court heard that he contacted the Aer Rianta duty airport manager
on the night telling him that he had just spray-painted a peace symbol on
the Hercules aircraft and was waiting to be picked up.

At Tulla District Court, Dubsky had a separate charge of entering the
airfield at Shannon and climbing the airport's perimeter fence dismissed
after the prosecution offered no evidence on the charge.

The hearing at Tulla lasted six hours and heard evidence from 17 witnesses.

Speaking outside Shannon District Court after the four-minute hearing into
his case yesterday, Dubsky said: "It is very disappointing, but we are going
to appeal."

He said he would not be paying the ?1,000 fine if it is upheld in lieu of
the six-month jail term.

He said: "I won't be paying the fine, I didn't do anything wrong."

© The Irish Times