Forwarded from Einde

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Feb 16 14:09:54 MST 2003

Alex LoCascio wrote:

 > http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,896573,00.html
 >
 > US to punish German 'treachery'
 > Peter Beaumont, David Roseand Paul Beaver
 > Sunday February 16, 2003
 > The Observer
 >
 > America is to punish Germany for leading international opposition to a
war against Iraq. The US will withdraw all its troops and bases from there
and end military and industrial co-operation between the two countries -
moves that could cost the Germans billions of euros.

If they do this it would be perceived as a major victory for the German
peace movement, which has been demanding the withdrawal of American troops
for years.

I'm not certain that even Rumsfeld is stupid enough to hand such a
"victory" to the anti-war movement, particularly since the Schröder
government is playing a double game - Germany is still the major staging
post for the US deployment in the Middle East. Transferring these major
bases will cost billions of dollars.

Einde O'Callaghan